As part of our continuing series, ‘This Day in Politics,’ today we’ll list the political events that took place on September 22nd.
September 22 is typically the Autumnal Equinox in the Northern Hemisphere, and the Vernal Equinox in the Southern Hemisphere and it is also the day that the following happened:
- In 1499, the Treaty of Basel takes place making Switzerland an independent state.
- In 1878 Prime Minister Yoshida Shigeru of Japan is born. He died in 1967.
- In 1908, Bulgaria becomes independent.
- In 1944, The Red Army enters Tallinn during World War 2.
- In 1952, first President of Finland Kaarlo Ståhlberg dies.
- In 1960, Sudanese Republic is renamed Mali. This happens after the withdrawal of Senegal from the Mali Federation.
- In 1965, the Second Kashmir War takes place between India and Pakistan over Kashmir. The war ends after the UN calls for a cease-fire.
- In 1970, the Prime Minister of Malaysia resigns.
- In 1975, bomb blasts rock Northern Ireland as fighting continues in the region.
- In 1980, Iraq invades Iran.