- In 1218 Emperor Chukyo of Japan was born. He died in 1234 (seems like a made up number but it’s true)
- In 1470 Henry VI of England takes back the English throne after Earl of Warwick defeats the Yorkists in battle. They celebrate by eating Yorkshire Pudding.
- In 1485 King Henry VII of England is crowned. He celebrates by increasing taxes.
- In 1735 John Adams is born. He goes to become the second President of the United States. He died in 1826.
- In 1905 Czar Nick II of Russia grants Russia’s first constitution. By doing this he creates a legislative assembly in Russia.
- In 1920 The Communist Party of Australia was founded.
- In 1922 Benito Mussolini becomes the Prime Minister of Italy. He never smiles ever again.
- In 1923 Andrew Bonar Law, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom died. He was born in 1858 or so. We don’t know exactly. Or care.
- In 1975 Prince Juan Carlos becomes Spain’s head of state, by taking over Franco.
- In 1963 U. Muthuramalingam Thevar, An Indian politician died. He was born on the same day in 1908. Yikes!!
- In 1983 the first democratic elections in Argentina occur after 7 years of military rule.
- In 1991 the Madrid Conference for Middle East peace talks opens. And everything in the Middle was fine after that.
- In 1995 Quebec sovereignists narrowly lose a referendum to become independent from the rest of Canada. They are steaming mad and spend the next days eating poutine and swearing in their french Canadian accents.
October 30th is also the Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Political Repressions in post-Soviet states.
And that’s October 30th for you. Maybe I’ll make a Halloween post next week. We shall see.