Sometimes it seems like half of my This Week in Politics is listing countries that have become independent of Britain, like in 1961, when Tangayika (a country I’ve never even heard of became independent.
- In 1861 during the American Civil War, the Joint Committee on the Conduct of the War is established by the United States Congress.
- In 1872 in Louisiana, P. B. S. Pinchback becomes the first serving African-American governor of a United States state.
- In 1905 in France, the law that is set up to separate church and state is passed for the first time in that country.
- In 1961 Tanganyika becomes independent from Britain.
- In 1966 Barbados joins the United Nations.
- In 1971 The United Arab Emirates join the United Nations.
- In 2000 The Supreme Court of the United States stays the sixth Florida recount.
- In 2008 The Governor of Illinois, Rod Blagojevich, is arrested by federal officials for a number of alleged crimes including attempting to sell the United States Senate seat being vacated by President-elect Barack Obama’s election to the Presidency.