Travel Insurance

Travel insurance provides you with both financial and practical assistance if something goes wrong whilst you’re on holiday.

Again, travel insurance is not compulsory, but the costs of not having it if something does go wrong make it something most people can’t afford not to have.

There a many different levels of travel insurance, which cover you for different activities, locations and lengths of holiday. If you are going on holiday and intend to go parascending or skiing, make sure you read the terms and conditions of your insurance before you travel.

Parascending is rarely included in travel insurance due to the unpredictable nature and poor safety records of foreign companies offering the sport, so make sure you have additional insurance before partaking in such activities.

Skiing is often included so long as you stay on the piste, so if you are someone who likes to venture off-piste make sure you top up your cover before you travel so you are covered.

Many people believe they are covered by the E111, or EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) as it is now known, but this is not entirely true. The EHIC only covers you in the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, and will allow you access to their state-run health service, but many countries will still charge for operations and services and aren’t entirely free like the NHS.

These cards are no use outside the EEA, so travel insurance is still vital, even in Europe.
There have been several examples of what can happen if you don’t have travel insurance in the press recently, with one girl who was injured in South America receiving a £50,000 bill she had to pay before she would be released from the country.

Leave your comment

  • (not published)