Premier League Round Up: United Go Four Points Clear

Hernandez on target for United

Hernandez on target for United

Manchester United regained their four point lead at the top of the Premiership with a comfortable 4-0 victory away to Wigan.

Javier Hernandez put United ahead after 17 minutes, United however failed to capitalize on their advantage and Wigan were unlucky not to be level at the half time break.

However, Hernandez got his second in the 74th minute, before Rooney made it three and Fabio Da Silva four, right at the end for United.

Aston Villa were 4-1 winners at home to Blackburn, in a game which saw the first half produce very few chances with the score 0-0 at half time.

However, Villa came out stronger in the second and got the breakthrough in the 49th minute through the impressive Ashley Young. It was 2-0 just after the half hour when Hanley put through his own net for Villa.

Stewart Downing made it 3-0 two minutes later, before Kalinic pulled one back for Blackburn on 81. Villa had the last laugh however when Young got his second eight minutes from time and sealed the win for Villa.

Everton carried on from their FA Cup triumph over Chelsea with a solid 2-0 win at home to Sunderland.

The away side have been hit by injuries of late, and left manager Steve Bruce short on options up front.

Jermaine Beckford put Everton 1-0 up after eight minutes, and doubled their lead six minutes before half time to secure all three points for David Moyes’s men.

In the battle for Europa League places, Newcastle and Blackburn played out a 1-1 draw at St James Park.

Kevin Nolan out Newcastle 1-0 after eight minutes with a goal against his former club, before Daniel Sturridge equalized eight minutes before half time.

Newcastle had Ryan Taylor sent off before the half hour, which meant a change to Newcastle’s approach, to one which saw them content with a draw. Both teams remain in Europa League contention.

Wolves claimed the all important three points in the relegation six pointer between in their match at home to Blackpool.

McCarthy’s men got off to the perfect start when Matt Jarvis them 1-0 up after just three minutes. Wolves pressed for the second but Blackpool managed to hang on until half time, but in doing so lost DJ Campbell to a red card.

Blackpool were unable to get a foothold in the game, and Wolves secured victory when Sylvan Ebanks-Blake struck in the 79th and 90th minutes to send lift Wolves out of the bottom three.

Leave your comment

  • (not published)