Libyan Government Claiming Ex-official Kidnapped



Protests in Libya continue

Protests in Libya continue

In the aftermath of Libya’s former interior minister stating he had resigned in support of the country’s anti-government protesters, the Libyan government is now claiming he was kidnapped.

Abdul Fattah Younis al Abidi, stated that he resigned from his post on Monday, after it was brought to his attention that 300 unarmed civilians had been killed in the city of Benghazi.

The Ex-official had accussed Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi of plotting to attack more civilians on a wider scale.

However, the Libyan media were also reporting on Monday that he had been kidnapped by “gangs” in Benghazi.

It has been reported by witnesses in the city, that Benghazi has now been taken over by the opposition, and that Younis could be seen siding with the reporters this past Sunday and Monday.

The Libyan state television reported that Libyan forces have issued a warning to those responsible for the kidnappped, and that they will be tracked down.

Abidi had stated that he had resigned from his role in the Libyan government, and was now supporting the protesters. Abidi then stated his belief that the opposition would achieve victory in “days or hours”.

In a telephone interview with CNN Abidi stated; “Gadhafi told me he was planning on using airplanes against the people in Benghazi, and I told him that he will have thousands of people killed if he does that.”

He referred to Gadhafi as being a “stubborn man”, who he believes will not give up, “He will either commit suicide or get killed” stated Abidi.

Abidi has now called on the Libyan security forces to follow his in his footsteps and “join the people in intifada” in their protest against the current government.

Leave your comment

  • (not published)