BBC issues Top Gear Mexico comments apology

top gear 2

top gear 2

The BBC have issued an apology after the storm that has erupted following comments made about Mexico on popular BBC Two show Top Gear.

Top Gear presenters, Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May labelled the Mexicans as “lazy”, “feckless” and “flatulent”

The Mexican ambassador was so insulted by the comments that he felt moved to write to the BBC, complaining about, “outrageous, vulgar and inexcusable insults.”

A Spanish subtitled version of the show has appeared on YouTube and had led to widespread coverage in the Mexican media, and complaints from all angles.

Jeremy Clarkson said on the show “at the Mexican embassy, the ambassador is going to be sitting there with a remote control like this (snores). They won’t complain, it’s fine”.

After calls from all over the world, including a selection of MPs who called for an apology as “a matter of urgency” the BBC issued an apology.

The statement defended the shows presenting, saying that national-stereotyping was a part of British humour, and went on to say that the comments may have been ‘rude’ and ‘mischievous’, but that there was no ‘vindictiveness’ behind them.

What do you think of the BBCs apology? Is it too little too late, or will this be the end of it?

Comments & Debate

1. February 4, 2011 at 4:50 pm HUMBERTO ATAYDE Commented:

It is not about being late or not, it was not an apology it was basically a justification for the comments, if they are so stereotyping why don’t they do the same jokes about the black community or the handicapped? they showed their ignorance and were racist, full stop.
    It was very unfortunate to see and hear those three saying what they said because the people of Britain are usually friendly and non-racist.

2. February 4, 2011 at 5:00 pm Tim Commented:

Last time I checked Mexicans were not a race. National-stereotyping is very different from racism and you might want to fully understand that next time you choose to comment. If I call an American “fat” am I being racist? Thought not.

People like you (not that, you know what I… oh nevermind) need to stop blowing this out of proportion and get off your high horses.

Full Stop.

3. February 4, 2011 at 5:04 pm Bart Dirix Commented:

Let get real guys.

Humor is what this country made what it is, it has even put the BBC on the map for a great part.
    Top Gear is the Worlds favorite car program for a reason, and it is not only for the great cars and crazy stunts but foremost cause of the humor and the casual lads at the bar kinda talk.
    The ratings of the program worldwide speak for themselves. This humor is accepted and appreciated by the public. Let’s not be so anal about it. We might as well forget about bringing humor to the screen al together if we get tsunamis of complaints for every topic we ridicule. And I do not think that this would suit the free world- / freedom of speech- wish of us citizens.

I am a part time waiter and Ginger. If I would complaint about all the jokes made concerning this then I would have a full time job writing complaint letters. There was even a program on the BBC yesterday suggesting you should hit waiters with your shoe because they are too arrogant to notice their guests. I will not go into this before we spend a forest on newspaper articles. But that shouldn’t hurt in any way, it is a caricature of the profession.

To keep a long letter short… Get a sense of humor people and ignore the wingers.
    You are treating them like super stars. I cannot figure out why? They have no artistic or other world changing input to our society. Yes they deserve an ear, not a super star status. Your media is gone mad and in my case and probably many more people’s, this causes me not to switch on the TV.

4. February 4, 2011 at 8:30 pm Eric Pedraza Commented:

I for one, found their comments really funny, even though I’m Mexican. I think Mexican people as a whole are a lot worse than what the comments of those tv presenters may have conveyed, and what proves it is that we are content with being the government’s puppets, so long as there are soap opera or soccer matches on tv, instead of making sure our demands are heard. But of course, the moment some guy makes a comment like this, we don’t delay on showing how outraged we are.

5. February 4, 2011 at 8:45 pm Edu Commented:

I don’t mind the occasional stereotyping, I think it’s funny to do it once in a while, even about your own country. As a Mexican living in Europe I occasionally make these jokes about my people.

The way they made the jokes however, was done in a very distasteful manner. And the jokes they made were not even on a proper context. What’s the need of insulting the food, and the embassador when you’re talking about a car? And even when talking about the car, what’s the need of disparaging our engineering when they know nothing about it?

6. February 5, 2011 at 12:09 am Emilio Mendoza Commented:

Really: It´s too little too late; and it is not an apology, BBC only explain the absurd and vulgar comments in the Top Gear program. Where is the education and moral of the most important broadcasting company of England, and one of the most important in the world?

7. March 5, 2011 at 5:39 pm Anonman Commented:

What ever happened to free speech. The program was made mainly for british people to watch, so if Mexico don’t like it, then don’t watch the program! Plus i don’t see fox having to apologies every week because family guy, american dad ect… have made fun of Mexico

Leave your comment